The Cookie Law is a piece of privacy legislation that requires websites to get consent from visitors to store or retrieve any information on a computer, smartphone or tablet.
Depending on a country, you might be required by law to inform your website visitors about how information about them is stored and used online, and give them a choice to opt-out if they don't wish that.
This manual aims to show you how to enable Cookies Policy alert on your website without a help of a developer. You are only a few steps away from having it implemented on your page.
1. First of all, it is important to know that only customers with plans that have access to the theme editor (can overwrite theme files) are able to do that by themselves. This feature is currently enabled for Professional, ProConnect and ProMarketer plans. If you are on the Premium plan you need to contact your Account Manager and ask for the support.
2. Search for Cookies Policy generator in your browser and look for the tool that suits your needs. Here at TrekkSoft we can recommend the following site:
- Choose the theme (the 3rd from the left usually looks the best with the pages built using our CMS)
- Copy the automatically generated code
3. Go to to your Admin Desk, hit on the Design and Pages tab and then Themes. Next, click on the HTML/CSS Editor button.
4. Click on All files, go to HTML Templates folder and hit on the layout.liquid file. Finally find a </head> tag and paste the snippet code you generated at https://silktide.com/tools/cookie-consent/download/ just before it.
Now go to your website and you should be able to see a Cookies Policy alert. As an example see one of our merchant's homepage with such an alert implemented below.